Two Dogs Aren’t Many Dogs

March 30, 2009

Chase went off to Fort Worth ten days ago to meet up with Sherri.  She needed to undo all the bad training I had done (like sit, stay, drop, come front . . .).  You cannot imagine how quiet my house is without him.  Now, I don’t think Kip and Inca would second this, but I really miss the wild boy.  There is no dog to leap on top of me, there is no dog on my desk or in the client chair, there is no dog on the dining room table, there is no dog in my face talking to me.  Kip and Inca are so companionable, and they wrestle together, run around the yard together.  They flop on the living room floor or in the office to keep an eye on me, but they are not creative in the ways they relate to me.  They both sleep on the bed at night, but not like Chase who would drop down along my body and then flop that big ole head on me with a huge sigh of contentment.  Kip and Inca empty the toy box and chew on their favorites, but they don’t fling them wildly in the air or put them on my hand.  Neither of them attack the tunnel and the weave poles and the jumps.

No matter how short Chase’s time with Sherri and then in Canada, it will seem like a very long time to me.

PS — I really appreciate all the offers of “bad dogs” that are available to come to my home while Chase is on holiday.  However, I do see this as a time to complete some vital obedience training with Kip (a much happier dog without Chase) and Inca (who may or may not agree to be trained further).

1. Sandy says:

Awwwwwwwwww…you make ME miss him with your story. Stop it! Really…

I had a gal I met at a dog show email me today to tell me her bitch had 8 Cardigan pups last Thursday. NO, don’t tell me there are puppies that close to me. Don’t tell me there are tris, and B&Ws and blues….no, no, no. But then I remembered…hmmm. This was the litter with the HUGE male, the female who couldn’t win a point to save herself, and NO OFA# for the male. “The vet said he was fine…” doesn’t cut it with me, sista.

Oh well, off into dog-less land. It is so sad around here just sharing a bed with a husband and two kitties. heh-heh!

2. Kim says:

Hmmmm… I wonder if Tory will fit in a FedEx box…

3. baledwr says:

Sandy…that litter sounds familiar but with some of the facts incorrect. I’m not sure there were a lot of 8 puppy litters with blues/blacks born last week…sired by a large male…of course the bitch I know is almost finished and the boy was Pennhiped with high scores…

Sorry to post back on your blog Penni! People may not realize what a small breed we are and that we all know each other!

Mandy (both Chase’s and Golem’s co-breeder)

4. Shelley says:

Well if you are really thinking its too quiet I can send Chip home with you 😉

5. Sarah says:

I promise to give Chase a big hug this weekend when I see him in Wichita. Syd is going to play in the agility ring, and we will definitely stop in to see Miss Sherri (so she can hug a Vallhund puppy), and I’ll drop a new roll of toilet paper into Chase’s crate for entertainment. ;-P

6. Tom (aka kennelhelp) says:

I have two siblings of Mr. Chase ready for an overnite UPS box…. do you wish them shipped to your house or your office???? Tom 🙂

7. MyEye says:

See — only someone living with relatives could understand that special charm that can drive a dog owner a little crazy. It’ll be alright, Tom.

8. Cait says:

I wish I’d known Chase was going to be at Fort Worth. That’s my ‘home’ show, and I didn’t make it this year either day but I would have liked to see him!

9. Kathy says:

Ahh, yes… it is SO different when the “busy” one leaves, isn’t it? I have a five-year-old “puppy,” who’d be happy to visit (Denali). But wait, who’d baby sit the real puppy (Sage)? Perhaps that’s not really a good idea right now! Kathy