Wow! What a Week!

February 11, 2010

. . . and it isn’t over yet.

My murder case has taken an interesting turn.  It appears that all charges, except First Degree Murder, are barred by the Statute of Limitations.  There is absolutely no way that this case is a first degree murder case — so I don’t know what the District Attorney’s Office will decide to do.  They should dismiss, but there will be a huge public outcry.  On this case, it feels as if I’m just along for the ride.  The facts are just falling out as they are.

Phoebe — is fine.  She’s happy and wagging — back to the old Phebes.  Thank goodness the vet was able to squeeze us in.  She goes back next week for a white blood count, and then it looks like she’ll trek back to Orygun with Tom and Carolyn.  She’s been sequestered in the kitchen.  When I came in tonight, she squeezed by me to get into the living room with the other dogs.  A few minutes later, she was bounding up the stairs — OMG — but she’s fine.  Tonight she ate without taking a breath.  I think she’s on the mend!

. . . which brings me to the kitchen.  The cabinet guy told me it would be at least two more weeks before he could get the cabinets installed.  Tom and Carolyn will be here next Friday, so that cabinet-installation timing doesn’t work for me.  In addition to which, for the past month, I have been leaving the office every single day around noon to go home and let dogs out because they have no access to their dog door.  I’m so tired of hauling their food upstairs to prepare it in the bathroom, and washing dishes in a plastic box in the bathtub, and carrying that cute Holmes-puppy down the stairs.  I’m tired of the refrigerator being in the dining room and the coffee maker and microwave on a folding table in the living room.  TWO MORE WEEKS!!!  However, today one of my long-time clients, who was probably tired of me looking so exhausted, gave me one of his construction guys for the week.  I’m meeting him at the house at 5:00, we’re going to go pick up the base cabinet “boxes”, which are available at Lowes.  He’ll paint the fronts to match my other cabinets, install the old doors and drawers and they should be in by Tuesday.  The price is so much lower than the quote by the other cabinet maker that I should be able to get a new sink, faucet, and counter top for the same money.  And Tom and Carolyn, Alice and Molly, will be able to stay at the house.  I don’t know when it’s going to be cleaned (or by whom), but I’ll cross that bridge later.

Tomorrow we’ll send a FedEx box to Washington to try to make “Machas” — you can try to work that out, and eventually I’ll tell you who the “Ma” part is.


  1. Jean from NM says:

    PROGRESS!!!!!!! Hallelujah!

  2. Garrett says:

    Penni – I’m SO glad to hear Phebe’s is on the mend. What a scary ordeal! So sad to hear of no more pheobe pups but at least pheobe is still alive and well!!

    That kitchen ordeal would make me go insane! A week or two yes, but this long? its too long. I’d start ringing people’s necks if it were legal at that point. You’re the lawyer…maybe there is a loop hole for that? 🙂

  3. C-Myste says:

    I echo Garrett. On both counts.